Kratom is a tropical evergreen tree that is native to Southeast Asia. It is closely related to the coffee plant and has become increasingly popular here in the United States. If you are interested in trying kratom you may be wondering, “Does kratom show up on a drug test?” The answer will all depend on what type of drug test you are taking. Kratom will not show up on your typical drug screen. However, it can be specifically tested for and in this instance, it would show up.
Does Kratom Show Up On A Drug Test?
Rather or not kratom shows up on a drug test will highly depend on what type of test is given. If you are subject to random drug testing at your place of employment you may either want to find out what they test for or avoid using products like kratom altogether. Most employers will not test for kratom, but it is better to know before taking kratom. You would never want to lose your job because you tested positive for a product they prohibit.
It will all depend on where you are located and if kratom is frown upon in your area. Kratom is not legal in all states. For this reason, you will need to be familiar with the kratom laws in your state. If you happen to live in a state where kratom is classified as a scheduled substance, then your drug test may include kratom on it. However, kratom is legal in most states and an employer typically is not checking to see if kratom is in your system.
Types Of Drug Test
A standard 5-panel drug screen will not look for kratom alkaloids. However, there is a drug test that can specifically detect them but they would have to be ordered ahead of time. Drug screens will need to detect a specific substance or its metabolite to show up. When an employer or parole officer adds a substance to a drug screen it makes testing more expensive. This is the main reason employers will just stick to a standardized drug test. You will rarely ever see an employee add on a substance to a test.
- Marijuana (particularly THC)
We have talked a little about 5-panel drug screens but there are other types as well. These include 7-panel, 10-panel, and 12-panel. Even a more intense drug test, such as a 20-panel drug test. However, even an intense drug test such as this would be aimed towards opioids, not kratom alkaloids.
For kratom to show up on any drug screen it would require specialized testing. With this would come incurred costs that most employers would not be willing to pay for. Besides, kratom is a legal substance in most areas. So, even if it did show up on a drug test, it would be hard to make a case against you when the substance is legal in your state.
Here are the various types of drug screens and what they test for:
- 5-Panel Drug Test – THC, Opiates, PCP, Cocaine, and Amphetamines.
- 6-Panel Drug Test – THC, opiates, cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamines, and benzodiazepines.
- 7-Panel Drug Test– THC, opiates, PCP, cocaine, amphetamines, benzodiazepines, and barbiturates.
- 8-Panel Drug Test – THC, opiates, PCP, cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamines, benzodiazepines, and barbiturates.
- 9-Panel Drug Test – THC, opiates, PCP, cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamines, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, and methadone.
- 10-Panel Drug Test – THC, opiates, PCP, cocaine, amphetamines, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, methadone, methaqualone, and propoxyphene.
- 12-Panel Drug Test – THC, opiates, PCP, cocaine, amphetamines, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, methadone, methaqualone, propoxyphene, ecstasy, and oxycodone. The most comprehensive test, as it can test for extended opiates and the misuse of prescription painkillers
Does kratom show up on drug tests? You would need to be taking a specialized drug screen for kratom to show up. It is highly unlikely that an employer will pay for this type of drug test to be conducted. They will typically stick to a standardized test.
The best policy is if you are worried about kratom being detected on a drug screen, avoid using it. There is always a small possibility that alkaloids could show up on a drug screen.
Here at Organic Kratom USA, we offer blogs that are informative and educational. You should never use our material to treat or diagnose any illness. Always seek the advice of your primary care physician before starting any new products.
You will find high-quality kratom powder and capsules here at Organic Kratom USA. If you have any questions when shopping please do not hesitate to ask us.