Kratom comes in many different forms including powders, capsules, and extracts. Some users are wondering how to extract kratom. It can be done in a few easy steps right at home or you can choose to buy kratom extracts from your favorite vendor. Let’s take a closer look at extracts and how you can create your very own at home.
What Is A Kratom Extract?
Kratom extracts tend to be pricier than powders or capsules because it takes extra time for manufacturing the products. However, you can bypass these costs by making your own extracts. An extract is very concentrated. This means that a little will go a long way.
Here are the three different extracts that you may have seen on the market:
- Extract Powder
- Extract Tincture
- Extract Resin
Some would also consider kratom tea a form of extract. It will all depend on your needs and what type of support you are seeking.
Why Would I Want To Make A Kratom Extract?
As we mentioned above, extracts can be very pricy when buying them from a vendor. This is the main reason why kratom enthusiasts take to making their own extracts. The process of making a kratom extract is very rewarding. In the end, you will have a highly concentrated form.
You will find that kratom extracts are not as widely offered as powders and capsules. This is because vendors must conduct testing on products to ensure that they are pure and unadulterated.
As a result, if an extract comes back with contaminates then the manufacture will lose out on money. They will have to throw away products and a lot of vendors are unwilling to take the risk with extracts. They are expensive to make and for vendors to buy.
Also, you will find the strain offering for extracts is limited. So, if your favorite strain is not highly popular your only choice would be to make your own extracts at home. This will allow you to get the type of support you are seeking.
How To Extract Kratom
Here we will give you some pointers on how to extract kratom right at home. Please be advised that you should never take kratom without first consulting with a medical physician. They are the only ones who can advise you on herbs and supplements, such as kratom.
These directions come from anecdotal reporting. If you should have questions, we ask that you research them, as we have for this article. These are not our directions on how to make a kratom extract, but only a report from others who have successfully made their own extracts at home.
Ingredients and Supplies:
- Ethanol/Ethyl Alcohol – you may also use 40% concentrated alcohol if you do not have access to the other types of alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is not suitable.
- Citric Acid/Lemon Juice
- Measuring Cups
- pH Strips
- Tinted Bottles
- Canning Jar
- Choose your kratom powder. Keep in mind that the results will vary according to the strain that you choose to use.
- Measure out your powder according to the amount of extract you would like to make. A tincture bottle will typically hold 4 to 5 ounces or 100 to 150 grams of kratom powder. You will get the hang of measuring out your powder after going through this process a few times.
- Mix your kratom and alcohol. Extracts have an alcohol base. This allows them to last longer than water-based substances. First put your kratom in the jar, leaving at least half the jar empty to fill with your alcohol base. Be certain to submerge your powder with the alcohol. Keep a 1:4 ratio. This means that for every 4 ounces of powder you will need 1 liter of alcohol. Be sure to mix it well.
- Add in your citric acid. This will help preserve the alkaloids while the kratom is being extracted.
- Check the acidity with a pH strip. It should reach a level of pH 4. At this point, you will not need to add any more citric acid.
- Seal the jar and shake it rapidly. Continue until the mixture has a smooth consistency.
- Place the jar in a dark area for about a week.
- Use a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth to strain your mixture. This will help take out any large particles that remain.
- Put the mixture in the jar and allow evaporation to take place. You want at least half of the liquid to evaporate.
- Bottle your extract in tincture bottles.
We hope you understand a little more about how to extract kratom. These types of products can provide unique wellness support. This is the reason why so many kratom users make their own extracts. Not only can they learn more about kratom during the process, but they can also have a highly concentrated form of kratom at the end.