The most popular kratom products are powders, capsules, and extracts. Kratom powder tends to be the most economical choice, while capsules are very convenient for those individuals who lead busy lifestyles. However, kratom extracts are highly sought after but are not always offered by every vendor. This leaves a lot of kratom users wondering how to make kratom extracts. This is the number one reason why a lot of kratom users choose to make their own extracts. It is a rewarding process that can be done right in your home.
In this guide, we will take a look at everything you need to know about kratom extracts so you can make the best decision on rather these products are right for you.
Please note that kratom is not used to treat, cure, or mitigate any disease, illness, ailment, and/or condition. Please see FDA import alert 54-15. We make no representations as to intended use or suitability for use.
What Are Kratom Extracts?
If you are looking for a concentrated form of kratom then you want an extract. An extract tends to be more potent than other forms of kratom, which allows your product to go farther. You will find that extracts have a robust alkaloid profile and can be distilled from kratom leaves or kratom powder. The goal during the extraction process is to extract the alkaloids from the leaves or powder. There are three main types of extracts:
- Extract Kratom Powder – a concentrated form of powder
- Extract Kratom Tincture – a liquid form of kratom extract
- Extract Kratom Resin – Thicker kratom extract paste
Why Would You Want To Make A Kratom Extract At Home?
Kratom extracts are not offered by all vendors. So, it may be tricky for you to find them. Also, there is a lot that goes into making a kratom extract, which means that it will be sold at a higher price. Vendors also must test their products before selling them to ensure they are not contaminated.
Testing is one of the most important things that a vendor can do. Vendors may get imported kratom that is contaminated without realizing it. These types of products would need to be discarded. So, making your extracts at home can save you a lot of money, plus you will know what is going into your extract.
Currently, the kratom market has a large demand for extracts. However, powder tends to be the simplest option for vendors to offer their consumers. Since kratom extracts are not widely offered, you are not going to find this product in a multitude of strains. This means you will only have the most popular strains to choose from. So, if you want any other strains you will need to create your own extracts at home.
Making your own kratom extracts at home allows you to have control over which strains you use. Tinctures tend to be the easiest option when wanting to try your hand at making kratom extracts at home.
How To Make Kratom Tinctures?
You may choose to create water or alcohol-based kratom extracts. Both options can be created right at home. Alcohol-based tinctures tend to be more effective when it comes to preserving alkaloids for long periods of time.
Please note that our blog was written using antidotal advice that was found through our research online. This advice should not be perceived as safe. Be sure you always consult with a physician before starting any new type of herbs or supplements. They are the only ones who can safely provide you with advice on products and dosing.
Creating a tincture is straightforward and quick. It can be completed within an hour or less. However, it will take some time for the tincture to extract all the alkaloids. So, your mixture will have to sit for about a week before you get the final result of a kratom tincture.
What You’ll Need
- A scale for measuring
- Kratom powder
- 80-100 Proof Ethanol/Ethyl Alcohol (about 1 liter of alcohol per 4 ounces of kratom powder)
- Mason Jar or sealable glass container
- Citric Acid
- pH strips
- Cheesecloth or another type of fine straining material
- Dark glass bottles to store your tincture in
- A funnel
Directions for Making Kratom Tinctures at Home
- Measure out your kratom powder and ethyl alcohol and mix them. You will want to use the scales for measuring to be sure you are getting an exact amount. According to antidotal research, it is recommended you use 4 ounces of kratom powder. Use one liter of ethyl alcohol every 4 ounces of kratom powder.
- The kratom powder should be placed in your jar and then the ethyl alcohol added. Gently mix to ensure all the kratom powder is absorbed by the alcohol.
- Carefully add small amounts of citric acid to your mixture. You will want to test the mixture’s acidity levels by using a pH strip. Keep repeating this process until the solution has a pH balance of 4 or slightly lower. This step will help in converting the alkaloids into a salt form, which makes them easier to extract into your tincture.
- Seal your glass container, shake it well, and place it in a cool, dark place for at least a week. This step is vital because this gives the tincture time to fully extract the alkaloids in the powder. Be certain that your mixture is not exposed to direct sunlight. A week should be more than enough for the mixture to extract the alkaloids, but some kratom users like to leave it to sit for a longer period of time.
- After a week, your mixture will be ready to strain. Be sure to give your container a good shake before opening it. Once the jar is open, cover the mouth of the jar with a cheesecloth or strainer. Pour your liquid through the strainer into another glass container. This will help remove any kratom powder that remains. Then use a funnel to put the extract back into its original jar.
- To increase your tincture’s potency levels, you will want to allow as much liquid to evaporate as possible. Cover the jar with a cheesecloth and allow this process to take place. The cheesecloth allows the liquid to escape while preventing any debris from getting into the mixture. It will all depend on you as to the amount of liquid you allow to evaporate. Please note that the liquid evaporating will not affect the total alkaloids that are in your finished tincture. It will only affect the potency levels per ml.
- Finish by filling your bottles with your handcrafted kratom tincture. You may want to choose bottles that have droppers for ease of use. Be sure to seal them tight and store each bottle for later use. You may want to add a label that tells you the date of your tincture, and any other information that you find important.
How To Make Kratom Resin
Kratom resin is a semi-solid form of kratom and is highly concentrated. They are not easy to make but are faster to make than a tincture.
- Add water to the kratom, but just enough to cover it.
- Mix it thoroughly and add in lemon or lime juice.
- Allow it to steep overnight.
- Place the mixture in the freezer, as you want it to turn into a solid.
- Add your frozen kratom to boiling water, add lemon or lime juice, and let it simmer until at least one-quarter of the water has evaporated.
- Cool and strain your mixture.
- Allow half of the strained water to evaporate.
- Proceed with simmering the wet powder once again and add in your lemon or lime juice.
- Simmer and filter the powder once again.
- Be sure that the water is saturated and place your mixture in an oven-safe dish that is 3 inches deep.
- Cook at 150 to 200 degrees.
- Once the water is evaporated you will be left with a thick resin.
- The resin should be stored in an air-tight container once it is cooled.
Organic Kratom USA
If you are looking for tinctures or resin but are having issues finding it with an online vendor, you can make your own kratom extracts right at home. Organic Kratom USA offers a variety of kratom strains and vein colors in powders and capsules. If you have any questions when shopping our website please do not hesitate to contact us. We hope that this blog has answered your questions about how to make kratom extracts.